Path: Top S2-Theses Highway Systems and Engineering 1998

Characteristics of asphalt concrete wearing course made with latex-bitumen binder.

Master Theses from JBPTITBPP / 2007-04-16 12:32:40
Oleh : Henri Siswanto, S2 - Highway Systems Engineering
Dibuat : 1998-00, dengan file

Keyword : Natural rubber; Latex; Additive; Asphalt mixture

Natural rubber (latex) is an additive that could be expected to enhance the physical properties of an asphalt mixture, particular its temperature susceptibility, flexibility and rutting resistance. Latex is widely available in Indonesia and the introduction of rubberized bitumen in the form of latex-bitumen in road construction merits consideration. The objectives of the research described in this thesis were to investigate the effect of latex on the physical properties of the binder and on the mechanical properties of AC made with latex-bitumen binder and to determine the optimum amount and composition of latex-bitumne binder in an AC surfacing mix. The mix gradation used was AC wearing course Type IV, SNI:1737-1989-F. Bitumen used was 60/70 penetration grade and the latex was DRC 60. The results of tests on binders containing 0 %, 2 %, 4 % and 6 % latex by weight of bitumen indicated that latex-bitumen binder is somewhat less susceptible to hardening during TFOT than conventional bitumen. Penetration Index increases with increase in latex content, indicating a reduction in temperature susceptibility. The data indicate that the optimum binder content is essentially the same for mixes with and without latex. Latex does not appear to have a significant effect on mix stability and the mix with 6 % latex has the lowest Marshall Quotient. The addition of 2 % and 4 % latex improves significantly mix resistance to water. At higher temperature, 40 degree C and 60 degree C, the indirect tensile strength is identical for mixes containing latex and higher than that of conventional mix; at 25 degree C the mix with 2 % latex has the highest indirect tensile strength. Resilient modulus at 45 degree C is not influenced by latex content; at 25 degree C the mix with 2 % latex has the highest resilient modulus. In the Wheel Tracking Test total deformation reduces as latex content is increased. Based on all the test results, latex-bitumen mixtures containing 4 % latex is proposed as the optimum mixtures.

Deskripsi Alternatif :

Natural rubber (latex) is an additive that could be expected to enhance the physical properties of an asphalt mixture, particular its temperature susceptibility, flexibility and rutting resistance. Latex is widely available in Indonesia and the introduction of rubberized bitumen in the form of latex-bitumen in road construction merits consideration. The objectives of the research described in this thesis were to investigate the effect of latex on the physical properties of the binder and on the mechanical properties of AC made with latex-bitumen binder and to determine the optimum amount and composition of latex-bitumne binder in an AC surfacing mix. The mix gradation used was AC wearing course Type IV, SNI:1737-1989-F. Bitumen used was 60/70 penetration grade and the latex was DRC 60. The results of tests on binders containing 0 %, 2 %, 4 % and 6 % latex by weight of bitumen indicated that latex-bitumen binder is somewhat less susceptible to hardening during TFOT than conventional bitumen. Penetration Index increases with increase in latex content, indicating a reduction in temperature susceptibility. The data indicate that the optimum binder content is essentially the same for mixes with and without latex. Latex does not appear to have a significant effect on mix stability and the mix with 6 % latex has the lowest Marshall Quotient. The addition of 2 % and 4 % latex improves significantly mix resistance to water. At higher temperature, 40 degree C and 60 degree C, the indirect tensile strength is identical for mixes containing latex and higher than that of conventional mix; at 25 degree C the mix with 2 % latex has the highest indirect tensile strength. Resilient modulus at 45 degree C is not influenced by latex content; at 25 degree C the mix with 2 % latex has the highest resilient modulus. In the Wheel Tracking Test total deformation reduces as latex content is increased. Based on all the test results, latex-bitumen mixtures containing 4 % latex is proposed as the optimum mixtures.

Beri Komentar ?#(0) | Bookmark

PropertiNilai Properti
ID PublisherJBPTITBPP
OrganisasiS
Nama KontakUPT Perpustakaan ITB
AlamatJl. Ganesha 10
KotaBandung
DaerahJawa Barat
NegaraIndonesia
Telepon62-22-2509118, 2500089
Fax62-22-2500089
E-mail Administratordigilib@lib.itb.ac.id
E-mail CKOinfo@lib.itb.ac.id

Print ...

Kontributor...

  • Editor: